Tuesday 10 July 2007

Straight up, now tell me..

I have clearly previously underestimated the musical genius of Paula Abdul: "Straight up" has to be one of the best songs I have listened to on youtube for the past few weeks. It may even make it onto my Ipod play list.

I remain alone in my house and I am quite enjoying it. No one comments about my eating and sleeping habits, or lack of both. Plus I think i'm getting better at cooking; I have very much mastered noodles and I really like beansprouts. I probably should branch out and try different food stuffs but Waitrose is too far away and I find it very boring at the supermarket. The supermarket is full of people living actual lives, putting things like greek yoghurt and humus into their baskets and walking very slowly, carefully inspecting tins and bread. I feel like shouting at them "it doesn't matter if the milk goes out of date in one week or one week and a day, you and your family will have finished that and several more before then, now move out of my way!!" It would be alot better if shopping were done in the style of Supermarket Sweep, it would be more fun and quicker. Obviously without the novelty inflatables- I think they would distract and I would once again leave the supermarket without having purchased toilet roll.

The maths is going ok. I'm making my way through "Galois symmetries of fundamental groupoids and noncommutative geometry" (Goncharov). It is making sense slowly.. almost painfully slowly actually.. but nevermind. I have managed to successfully derive the coproduct generating function for MZVs of depth 2 and hope to look in the not too distant future at higher depths. However a massive problem at the moment is my complete lack of computer knowledge. Ideally I would have put all this into PARI gp but so far,

PARI gp: 17
Me:0

and I am being very harsh with PARI's score there! My laptop runs on Windows and so I can not figure out how to do anything with PARI gp. Obviously I only discovered this fundamental flaw after several painstaking hours trying to make the damn code work. As soon as I started to yield results I discovered I did not know how to save it, then it wouldn't let me cut what I had done out and save into a different program. So I thought "ha, I'll just never turn my computer off".. but then my computer crashed!!! So MAPLE it is, good old MAPLE- surely it won't let me down.

My project advisor has left for a month now; this worries me slightly- who is going to tell me what to do? Who is going to look over what I've done and point out all the ridiculous arithmetic errors? I asked what he wants me to achieve while he is away with the intention that I could haggle down the expectations. In a happy situation I would be busy generalising... we'll see what happens..

No comments: