Sunday 3 June 2007

Out of my mind

Today I have been thinking about double shuffle relations between MZV's (multiple zeta values). There is an excellent paper by Kentaro Ihara, Masanobu Kaneko and Don Zagier "Derivation and double shuffle relations for multiple zeta values" on the subject. I think that I have understood the idea of the harmonic product and the shuffle product and now I am trying to get my head around regularisations of MZV's. So I'll see how that goes in the next few weeks...


Yesterday the local Amnesty International group and the university Amnesty chapter organised a peaceful protest against Guantánamo Bay. The protest involved 8 people being dressed in orange boiler suits and masks to represent the UK 8. I spent a few hours asking people to sign the petition, http://www.amnesty.org.uk/petitions3.asp to join Amnesty in urging US President George W. Bush to close Guantánamo Bay and ensure that all detainees are either released with full protections or charged and brought to full and fair trial in the US courts. Overall, the day was successful: many signatures were collected and more importantly I feel alot of awareness was raised. The most fulfilling part of the day was when young children came up to ask about what we were doing and seemed genuinely interested.





However even with suntan lotion I have fallen foul of the powerful rays of the sun. Hopefully the pain and redness will fade soon, to leave a glowing, sun-kissed tan.. although I doubt it...

No comments: