Monday 16 July 2007

Britain's Next Top what?

During the exams I became addicted to America's Next Top Model. Having exhausted all the cycles I have started to watch the new series of Britain's Next Top Model. I am so disappointed. As annoying as I found the girls in ANTM they at least all seemed to have really desired to be models prior to the competition, whereas in BNTM the producers appear to have collected girls from a variety of holes from around the country. The majority of the girls have awful tempers and their language is punctuated with slang and crude vocabulary. I'm not sure what they are all competing for, but by the looks of the contestants it won't be anything to be proud of... I really hope that people do not watch this programme and think that it is a fair representation of British females.

I am constantly bemused by the judges choice of expressions in all Top Model programmes (trust me, I am no stranger to the shows.. I clearly have a lot of time to waste). The judges periodically tell the girls to "serve it", "work it", "bring it", "be fierce" and all sorts of odd things. I don't understand why no one turns around and demands to know what this undefined article "it" is- how can anyone possibly "serve it" if they don't know what "it" is? To me fashion is portrayed as a very strange thing in these shows. If fashion is trying to "work it" in a dress that has a fake fin attached to it whilst standing in contorted positions, looking "fierce" then I happily embrace a fashion-free existence!

No comments: