Friday 13 July 2007

Feelings of guilt

Today I have done absolutely no work. Instead I have sat for many many hours reading an e copy of the latest Harry Potter book. Apparently. Whether it is the real version or not, it had me gripped, and was a fantastic read. I really like reading Harry Potter, when I first read a new one of them I find myself in the dilemma of wanting to make it to the end, just to find out what happens, but never actually wanting it to finish. I suppose that always happens with a good book though. Several of my friends reprimmand me for reading them, saying they are "for children" and "a poor man's rip off of proper stuff in that genre," and that attitude irks me: that's the whole point. I like to read them because I don't want a challenge, I just want a thrilling tale to escape into, and I'll thank others to not try and lessen this escapade by trying to put the books down.

But now the feelings of guilt... I hate feeling guilty about not having done any meaningful work and I hate how the only way to quash the feeling is a hefty dose of unadulterated slave labour. So slave labour it will have to be... I met with the other project student and it has left me feeling a little sad. She was explaining how each day she goes into the department and meets her advisor and he tells her what to do and then she sits at her computer and starts running the tests &c and if she has any problems her advisor is literally a few metres away, or she can go to the phD student to whom she has been assigned. I know I shouldn't expect to receive alot of help, but it would be nice to have that level of encouragement, especially with the programming. Oh well, less complaining.

I am also really annoyed with the weather. I feel like the weather is tricking me. It seems that in the early afternoon (I would say morning here, but that would be a lie) when I leave the house, it is quite nice and so I am lured into believing that the day will be relatively sunny and leave without a coat. But lo, the sky darkens and cracks and I am yet again forced to march home in the pouring rain with neither coat nor umbrella.

I also have to go food shopping soon. I have been putting that task off for a while now, but I have literally a tin of beans and some jif lemon, and a meal that does not make. I should develop a food pattern I suppose- but it's all just such a hassle and I think I'd just rather not eat! I wish there was just a pill I could take en lieu of a meal, that would suit me fine.

No comments: