Wednesday 11 July 2007

The efficiency of my life

Today has not been a good day. I woke up, much later than planned, to the beeping of my carbon monoxide alarm. It seemed to be low on battery so I changed them and went to the department.

MAPLE was being rubbish. I can't work out what to use for an anticommutative product and so all my calculations are wrong. I tried to plough on, but for some reason I just couldn't concentrate and so instead opted for wasting alot of time reading online comics. I find I can waste alot of time reading the archives of http://www.xkcd.com/, and it's surprising how many of them I can relate to: I spend quite a lot of time thinking about the efficiency of my path.


I really need to start organising my days better. Tomorrow, I will definitely be in the department for 10am!

So I arrived home, having achieved very little. I checked the CO alarm and it started beeping furiously. Panicked to see the display at 192, I immediately phoned British Gas. After being given a list of safety instructions;

1. Stay out of the house
2. Do not light naked flames
3. Do not use any electrical appliances

I was left to sit outside my house and wait for the on-call engineer to arrive. When he came we went inside [note: the first thing he did was to turn on a light!] and I was a little concerned to see that the count had returned to 0 and the alarm had stopped sounding. Eventually, he established there was no leak and told me with a smirk that I had pressed the test button instead. It was deeply embarrassing and after a little laugh at my expense he left. Is it weird that I wish there had been a leak? Not a serious one, but just a little one so that I had a reason for my call. It really annoys me that I am so terrible at dealing with things.

No comments: