Saturday 25 August 2007

Street Theatre

Today I walked into town and I enjoyed several hours watching some street theatre. There was some festival in the centre of Durham (these things always take me by surprise) and they had invited some circus acts. I saw a pair of acrobats; Jacob and Sophie and they were fantastic and there was the "amazing gareth" who juggled with a sword and a an actual chain-saw. It was really all very good.

Since returning back to my room I have not done any work but I slept for a while and am now watching my 4th episode of Agatha Christie's Poirot, "Adventure of the Italian Nobleman." I love how shows set in the 1930's are so stereotypically British. Everything is just so proper, and chats take place over tea served in china cups with matching saucers and people die just from a tumble down the stairs. The only crimes are crimes motivated by inheritence or to cover up scandals of illicit children or jewel robberies and murder is almost always conducted by poison painstakingly injected into a chocolate or the victim receiving a blow to the head with a bust. Insults like "You Brute!" and "You Swine" are banded about and whenever the murderer is revealed their accent changes from that of an upper-middle class gentleman to that of working class dialect. You've just got to love the British class system and all the traits associated with it. David Suchet is really very amusing as the pedantic, hypochanriac Poirot.

Now perhaps it is time that I exercised my own "little grey cells"... n'est pas?

No comments: