Saturday 4 August 2007

I don't want the world to see me (I don't think that they'd understand)... (Sense and Sensibility)

High heeled shoes are an absolutely ridiculous concept. They are just shoes with long spikes attached to them. Why? I walked into town to get a film listings guide from the cinema and saw several women tottering around in stupidly high shoes. Clearly they were in pain and I have no idea why they would want to put themselves through it. I think if everyone sat down and thought about them we could all agree they are utterly pointless and pain-inducing. It is so much easier to walk around in a flat-bottomed shoe.

It is Saturday night (technically Sunday morning) and I am in the maths department. I am clearly living what I imagine to be every mathematics undergraduate's dream. I suppose it doesn't matter that it's Saturday night, as I have done this for the past n nights, so why should this night be any different? Perhaps it is because Saturday night is supposed to be synonymous with fun? Well, maybe I am having fun. Just a really subtle kind of fun that is invisible to the naked eye. If we looked at the situation under a highly powerful microscope we may beable to detect it. I wonder if there is a poor soul over in the physics department thinking exactly the same thing. If there is, (s)he would have the equipment to test it. What can I do here in the maths department? Idealise myself as a graph and work out my Euler characteristic? Oh no...that does nothing!

I suppose I am having fun. I am:

1. Waiting for MAPLE to compile and run (and then display [in the best case scenario] an incorrect piece of data or [in the worst case] an error message)

2. Watching the same Alan Rickman clip from Sense and Sensibility over and over and over again.

3. Systematically refreshing facebook to see if anyone else out there has no social life.

Yes, that sounds like a party. Maybe if I developed a drinking problem this would all be easier!

No comments: