Thursday 16 August 2007

Overhauling my notation

As a subtle revenge plan on my advisor (who has now been missing in action for approaching 6 of the 8 weeks of my project) I am overhauling my notation, making my work impregnable to anyone other than me. Actually, I am just using the notation that I used as I went along and am just not converting it back into that used in the Goncharov paper. I personally prefer it, but then I would have to as it is my own idea behind it.

I'm waiting for LaTeX to compile. I seem to spend alot of my (work) time waiting for programs to compile. I have spent alot of time over the last couple of days talking to Ruth. I really like Ruth, she is the only thing keeping me sane here. She has so much time for people and I really admire that about her. Currently she is concerned that she is not a good enough mathematician and that she should just give up and become a nurse. We fantasised what it would be like for a while just doing a 9-5 job and being able to "switch off" when we got home. The unfortunate things about maths is that it will creep up on you even when you don't want it to; like in the middle of a film or a conversation. One thing I am sure about though, is that Ruth is a good enough mathematician not only to survive, but to do interesting things.

It's Saturday again now... my how these days just roll by. So the question arises, what shall I do tonight? Well today, I have a plan. I am going to watch a newly restored print of Sean Connery's Bond "Goldfinger." Well at least I hope to. There may be a run on tickets and I don't think I can rely on going alone to get one as I fully imagine the screen to be full of lone-travelling middle aged men. At least there won't be teenagers. I have checked the cinema timetable and the only alternative is the "Bourne Ultimatum" which starts a full 30 minutes before Bond, so hopefully when I arrive for the film there won't be any loitering children poised to make me feel bad.

Speaking of children making me feel bad, the NAGTY children had their leaving party last night. I think the college should definitely put up notices about these kind of events as I walked straight into it in my pyjamas on the hunt for Sprite. Honestly, you should have seen some of the looks I got. To combat this I didn't get Sprite but opted for an overtly labelled alcoholic drink. Ha.. I'm old enough to buy alcohol, so have fun and sit there drinking your "pop" judging me.. I can just legally block it out with mind-altering narcotics. So this group of children left.. but were replaced almost immediately by another load of them. I feel like there is some peverse American TV show casting them for my own personal nightmare.

No comments: