Friday 3 August 2007

If you want it to be good..


I had forgotten that in college people just walk into your room, uninvited at positively indecent hours. And by that I mean that this morning a cleaner just marched into my room at 9.30am this morning to change my rubbish bag. I don't like it. I also will have to investigate finding better food preparation tools. I don't like I can eat out of tin cans for the next month, however optimal I am making my washing up. Tomorrow I will go in search of a microwave or a toaster. I will have a decent meal of toast and warm spaghetti hoops yet!

I am really annoyed with MAPLE. I can't believe it doesn't have a built-in procedure to give multiple "nexts." So I have had to write a really convoluted piece of code to get around it because I don't know how to do anything efficiently in it. The whole program is now about 7 pages of A4 long when printed and is massively inefficient. It is taking 40-ish minutes to run! This is not good. It would be better if the results were right, but unfortunately, that is not the case. I have decided I will continue to plough on with this idea until the end of the weekend. If, by then, there are no hints of possible success I will re-think my notation. I really really hope it doesn't come to that.

I am feeling a bit lost at the moment. It's so lonely here and I just want to go home. I want my mum to cook me food and I want to watch a film with my brother and dad. I want to go out with my friends and I want to go to sleep not worrying about MAPLE. I don't want to feel constantly on the verge of tears.

Jo told me that she had her most frustrating day with her project today. Apparently the code she has to test wasn't running properly and her phD student spent 2 hours looking at it. Oh dear. That's what I feel like very day, except I don't have the luxury of a phD student to help and my code is just a load of rubbish that I've written myself, so I have no idea even if it's supposed to work. I want Colonel Brandon to want to marry me.

No comments: