Sunday 19 August 2007

A Questionable Antipode Map

I needn't have worried about not getting a ticket for Bond, as there were only 7 of us in the entire screen. As predicted the rest of the audience were middle-aged lone-travelling men. I think one of them was mad, or at least was under the illusion he was in his own living room as whenever Sean Connery made some witticism he would cry out "oh.. classic Bond" or similar. In short we had a running commentary of this man's local opinion of the film. The cinema attendant seemed to tar us with the same brush and I'm quite convinced he would have seeled the room and released toxic nerve gas into it if he had had the option. I also think he would have been justified. So on the whole it was quite a good evening.

I went to the department on the way home and finished off my chapter on the Hopf Algebra of Iterated Integrals. I think I have made up what the antipode map is, it makes sense (to me) but I'm not sure if the Hopf Algebra is allowed to be involutive, as it is with my antipode map. I'll see what my advisor says about it. As I left the science site, though, I walked straight into a stationary truck. I was really annoyed, they shouldn't just leave trucks about in the pitch black where people can just walk into them. I could have been knocked out and died, or worse I could have been knocked unconscious and then that would have led to a really embarrassing scene when someone found me. Although god knows it wouldn't have been security that would have found me, I can only imagine what they do when they're on duty, but this evening after I returned from my prescribed long walk around Durham the college security guard was just standing only in his boxer shorts, smoking in the reception. Ok, number 1; it is illegal to smoke in that building and number 2, where were his clothes? Being repressively British I merely said hello, ignored his naked attire, and hoped he didn't think I had said hello in any other than my usual way. Although, why I worry that the unprofessionally naked security man should think I said hello in a non-usual way is ridiculous. I really hope that this isn't some sort of test the college are setting for me to see if I complain. I mean, he was breaking the law smoking. Oh, I hope they don't come and knock on my door tomorrow and evict me because I was technically complicit in a crime. I'll go to the department early to avoid them, and I will not bypass reception.

I could go to my advisor's office and wait for him to return, but I'd probably be waiting days. He did say he'd be back, first on the 10th August and then the 19th August... now..who knows? He doesn't seem to be too concerned with how my project is going. For all he knows I just used a highly erroneous antipode map!!!! Oh, he is going to be so disappointed with me when he comes back. I'll probably crack and scream "what do you want from me!!?". If I do do that I had better make it very clear that it is a rhetorical question though, as I absolutely do not need from him a list of things that he actually wanted me to do...

No comments: