Tuesday 21 August 2007

Eating habits die hard

My advisor thinks I'm an idiot. I was in his office this evening and I thought I saw something at the window (turns out it was a particularly large moth) and when he looked and couldn't see anything he said "did you see your own reflection?". Honestly, he must think I'm so stupid! I am not 1)5 years old 2)a dog and I can distinguish between my own reflection and something else. Although.. perhaps this may work to my advantage.. it is always best to keep expectations low.

I also think my advisor has been talking to the lecturer who quizzes me on my eating habits as today he presented me with a prepared lunch, which he branded a healthier "variety". That joke did win me over though. I can't work out whether he brought me food because he's worried I am slowly becoming malnourished or so that when I miss a meal staying in his office for hours at a time he doesn't feel guilty. I phoned my mum and she launched into her "well... what are you eating? You have to start eating properly? I bet you're so pale. etc" speech. In the end I only got her to stop when I promised to go to the doctor's to get tested for anaemia again. I'm probably not doing to do that though: I rarely walk into town to get food.. I find it unlikely that I will walk in to go and be told that I need a balanced diet. I already know that- I just find it tiresome to put into practice. I think I'll wait until I try and give blood again and then see if they send me away.

We had an interesting chat today (my advisor and I, not my mum and I) as to why the zeta(1) terms disappear in the depth 2 coproduct and seemingly not in the depth 3 coproduct. Today I had worked out the closed form for such terms and tried to look for relations between the MZVs, but to no avail. It threw up some very interesting questions though and a conjecturally nice idea that as large numbers get "pushed to the left" in permuations of of 3-digits numbers the coproduct of this MZV gets less "symmetric." So we lose symmetry in zeta(5,3,3) compared to zeta(3,5,3).It really is so interesting and I intend to run tests in higher depths to see what goes on. And actually zeta(3,5,3) is rather special, well, it is my favourite as it has no Double zeta term in the coproduct terms involving zeta(1). (Actually I worked out zeta(a,b,a) will never have any double zeta values in the coproduct terms involving zeta(1)).

Security man was fully clothed again tonight. Good.

No comments: