Sunday 17 August 2008

Will I ever get married?

Apparently not.

I mentioned to my mum that I have been invited to a person I knew from high school's wedding.

"Oh really! ..... It's a shame you'll never get married."

"Erm? Why is that?"

"Well, you're doing this PhD."

"Oh."

I didn't really know what to say to this, but apparently "I have made my decision" and my mum "doesn't blame me" because "I've always been different, not like any of the other little girls" and "I never wanted to look nice."

Ouch.

I know that she probably doesn't mean to be insulting, but my mum really knows how to destroy any self-esteem I can manage to muster.

On a more Olympic-based note, team GB are doing very well. I can't believe we're 3rd on the medals table! From the whole games highlights have to have been:

1. Michael Phelps' history-making performance.
2. Men's 100m.
3. Women's 800m free.
4. Women's marathon.

Today I booked some flights. Task 1 for the day complete. Task 2: feel less of a failure as both a daughter and a female.

No comments: