Monday 18 August 2008

loss of internet access=the unthinkable

The administration sent me an email today to tell me that they have found me somewhere to live. It appears that I will be living on the outskirts of Narnia... or at least in something of comparable size. I'd actually quite like to live near Narnia. I'm not sure where I'd be more likely to make friends; in reality or in a fictional place. Actually, I think I know the answer to this... and it would depend on if it were my fictional place or somebody else's (which may be reality?) This is not what worries me though. As of yet I am uncertain as to if there is an internet connection. I can't not have an internet connection. What the hell would I do with my time? Seriously, I can't even imagine not having constant email access, ArXiv access, msn, facebook, the webcomics... I would literally have to stay in my office all the fucking time.

Pros:
  1. Very close to institute. Could walk there.
  2. Situated in town.
  3. Reasonably priced.
  4. Wouldn't have to share/ pretend to be normal around an unknown entity (flatmate). I doubt I'd be able to cope with a new person judging me all the time. God, I can imagine them inviting friends around and them all commenting on me in a foreign language that I don't understand and I wouldn't even know! And I wouldn't be able to ask because then that would make me look strange and they'd talk about that. It would be a vicious cycle. No. This can not happen.
  5. Wouldn't have to run the risk of having any input into this arrangement myself.

Cons:
  1. There may be no internet connection.
I suppose I could attempt to nurture some sort of fledging social life. But at what cost? I am certain I don't want it to be at the cost of my daily wikipedia dose. No sir!

2 comments:

John Rhodes said...

There is absolutely no doubt that the cons outweigh the pros.... Internet must be secured before a successful takeover of a residence can be assured.

Steph said...

Well disaster has been averted. I can confirm that internet access will be available to me. Phew.