Friday 15 August 2008

Doubles on Table Tennis just looks odd...

I am now sleeping around the BBC coverage of the Olympics. This is not too different from my usual sleeping patterns- except now I have a legitimate reason for this.

Pro: I can watch the Olympics all the time.
Con: I am watching the Olympics all the time...

... and doing nothing else. I really need to book some flights and write a talk, but I have over a week to do this. I hope this won't cut into any precious "Olympic-watching" time.

Question I was asked: Can you think of a non-closed subgroup of a Lie group?
My Answer: Take {(e1+ae2}t : t real} with a irrational, in the torus. This is not-closed. It is dense.

This question got me thinking about Lie groups and I have spent some time learning more about their classification via root systems and Dynkin diagrams. I like the simple combinatorics of the Dynkin diagram. With the new knowledge I have acquired snippets of some of the talks I went to last week are suddenly making much more sense. Perhaps it would have been better for me to have been asked this question earlier...

Hmm... as I await my next installment of Olympic goodness I just turned on The Grudge by accident. I think I am now a bit scared. Thank goodness BBC Parliament has been suspended for more coverage. Also, I love my red button privileges.

That's all from us here in the Bird's Nest. Until tomorrow..

3 comments:

Beans said...

Ha, I know what you mean about trying to watch the Olympics. I don't like certain events, but I'm looking forward to the Athletics.

I didn't switch over to The Grudge today, but I didn't find it that scary. It did make me jump on some instances (when that ickle kid pops out of nowhere), but I didn't lose sleep over it like Milo and my sister! I think the movies was quite forgettable (namely because I have forgotten a majority of it!)

Steph said...

I am also really looking forward to the Athletics getting well under way. I suppose I like the explosive nature of it. I have also really enjoyed the swimming.

The child was disconcerting, but thankfully I am much too busy doing nothing on the internet to be too perturbed by it...

I am now poised ready for the rest of the Heptathalon events.

Beans said...

I had to blink twice as I saw that you had replied at 17:22 when it clearly isn't!

The swimming has been OK, but the gymnastics has been great too. It's a shame that GB don't have a football team, for it would have made it more interesting!

I am also busy doing nothing when there is much to do! The wonders of the weekend... I need to sleep early tonight, so I might end up watching a movie instead. (It has an end unlike the Olympic coverage!)