Thursday 21 August 2008

The Curse of Attractive Friends.

  1. Email correspondence with Germany would suggest some of them think that my name is Sarah. I have subtly tried to hint that this is not my name, but to no avail. I hope that this won't have any awkward consequences when I am there next week. In hindsight I probably should have just said "this is not my name." To be safe, I won't put my name on any slides I may use there.

  2. I met Anna for lunch today. We did some shopping. Well, Anna did, because clothes look good on her. I hate changing rooms and the looks that the immaculate shop assistants give you when ushering you into a harshly lit cubicle. I just know they are thinking when I am

    On the way in:
    a) Oh my god, you have no fashion sense, you just picked up the trick outfit in the shop.
    b) Oh my god, you are never going to fit in that. That would look so much better on me.

    On the way out:
    a) That's it, put it back and walk shamefully from the shop..
    b) See, I told you. Now, put it back and walk shamefully from the shop..

    Clothes shopping must be performed as one would pull off a plaster: it must be done with maximum speed and at the appropriate time to ensure minimal pain. Unfortunately there will always be pain.

    Tips for successful shopping

    (i) Try to enter the cubicles when the shop assistant is elsewhere.
    (ii) Choose a cubicle that is not near people. Remember that the curtains do not always fit perfectly and the last thing you want is nearby people to catch anything unsightly.
    (iii) If you need to make a potentially stressful purchase: go alone. I had a traumatic bikini shopping experience with two friends when I was 18. Result: no bikini, tears and I had to watch them parade round modeling perfectly fitting items multiple times.
    (iv) If someone from a cosmetics counter tries to make eye contact with you- run. Especially if it is these people. I have only been foolish enough to be trapped once. They made me "look at my face closely" in an indecently magnified mirror to "highlight my problem areas." Like I don't know what they are already! They knock your confidence and then convince you that you need their products to hide these errors. Then before you know it you're at the till handing over your screaming credit card as they scan a load of previously unpriced miracle products that "you simply must have." Don't put yourself through it.

  3. I downloaded some German podcasts today. I had to create a new play list for them on my iPod. I didn't really relish the idea of messing with my nicely collated system- but needs must.

  4. I managed to make the best tasting piece of toast I have ever had today. I think it was almost perfect. I'll probably never be able to replicate such excellence again. However, as toast is my signature dish- I'm sure I will have plenty of practice.

No comments: