Sunday 12 October 2008

The Rules

There are certain things that you are allowed to do in Germany that wouldn't really work in England:

  1. Take dogs anywhere. I've seen them in supermarkets, department stores, banks...
  2. Wear any item of leather/ white denim clothing.
  3. Go up to people directly and say something about their face. Yesterday I was having a stroll through town when this man popped up and pointed at my face and said something. I only managed to translate the word "face" but I tried to memorise the phrase and look it up in my dictionary when I got home. I obviously immediately rushed to a mirror to see if I had anything smeared across me! But no. And needless to say I was unable to translate what the man had said. However I have now learned the words for ugly, unattractive and unpleasant in case I should ever be in that situation again.
I have only been "in the office" a week and I have already lost my access card. I am pretty sure the receptionist will look at me like I am massively incompetent when I finally get around to telling her. However, if I am being fair, this is no less than I deserve.

No comments: