Monday 21 July 2008

Dreams about teeth

Recently I have had several dreams where some of my teeth fall out. Looking into dream mythology this means that apparently I have some fears:

*fear of being embarrassed or making a fool of yourself in some specific situation. These dreams are an over-exaggeration of your worries and anxiety.

*fear of your sexual impotence or the consequences of getting old. Teeth are an important feature of our attractiveness and presentation to others. Everybody worries about how they appear to others.

I have arrived back from a weekend away where I went to a friend's housewarming in London. My parents consider him to have "made it". That is, he has a good job and a high salary and lives in London. He has a life plan. In short, I do not. So I suppose I have been fighting feeling of inadequancy and failure recently. Maybe my dreams stem from this? I also imagined that this housewarming would be attended with lots of accouting-type people who would look down on me and ask me that dreaded question "what do you do?"

If this were indeed the case then I combatted it with drinking much wine and (potentially) boring people with chat about my variations of mixed Hodge structures. I put "potentially" in brackets there because I still hold fleeting hope that someone else there, apart from myself, may have found it interesting. Anyway, it was a really good party and I got to see alot of my friends. I just need to feel like less of a failure.

No comments: