Thursday 12 June 2008

Toot toot.. ahhhhh... beep beep

Finally my MAPLE code yields something of use. Well, I say of use- what I actually mean is the code agrees with a combinatoric approach I thought of to write down a closed form for the coproduct of MZV. And by "agreemment" I mean they agree after I spent about 2 days deciphering each of the 86 matrix outputs by hand. Not a task I relished. I am however blindly trusting a code I wrote a little under a year ago that I can not quite remember for the life of me how I actually managed to write it...

I am obviously only able to test this for depth 2,3,4,5 and (oh yes) 6 (the newest result after having left my computer running for a number of hours!). But so far I have the desired corroboration. Plus I am happy that coefficients come in very beautifully predictable pairs (usually pairs but not always- but this is explainable) of products of binomial coefficients (or at least they do conjecturally).

I want to be able to write down this closed form. This does seem more possible now. I am just trying very hard not to become lost in notation.

I had forgotten over the past couple of months just how exciting this project is. There is nothing quite as simultaneously frustating and delicious as being in the belly of a calculation.

I am visiting friends this weekend. I really hope that I won't need my computer program while I am away. I can take the notepads but taking my laptop may seem a little anti-social. I could take the work sheets on a memory stick I suppose, but then one would run the risk of my friends not having the appropriate software on their computers- which would be quite irritating. Boo hiss boo.

I also can not decide whether to take a Poirot with me. It's not strictly necessary, plus there really isn't enough time to make an informed decision with regards to which one to take. I could just take a foreign language dictionary, or go crazy and only take my notebooks.

No comments: